Sunday, November 15, 2009

U.S. History-Transportation (2)

Topic: New York City Area 1693- 1775


The first bridge over the Harlem River was built under a franchise for 99 years, granted in June, 1693, to Fredryck Flypsen or Philipse, to build and maintain at his own expense a bridge over the Spuyten Duyvil Creek, and to collect certain "easy and reasonable tolls" from such passengers as might cross it. The bridge was to be twenty-four feet wide and provided with a draw of sufficient size to permit the passage of small craft. It was further stipulated that it should be free for the passage of the King's forces, and should be called King's Bridge. This bridge was built during the same year, a little to the east of the site of the present structure which bears the same name. It remained in the hands of Philipse's descendants down to Revolutionary times, when it was forfeited to the State on account of the adherence of the family to the English Crown.


The South Ferry Stapleton (Staten island) run did not open until 1713, but there is a clear record of a rowboat service to New Jersey, soon to be supplanted by horsepower (using windlass and sweeps), that began in 1661, crossing the Hudson squarely at South Ferry.


In 1717 two ferries were provided to run from the old Long island landing, viz., the Nassau Ferry, carrying cattle, goods and passengers to the above mentioned three New York slips, and the New York Ferry, carrying only goods and passengers to Hanover Square and Coentis Slip.


In 1728 shipyards occupied the river front between Beekman Street and Catherine Street, then the northern limits of the city, and in 1740 there were three shipyards in the neighborhood of Dover Street, and this was called the "shipyards district."


The first New York stage was started in the year 1732, to run between New York City and Boston. The journey took 14 days.


In 1774 three ferries were established with landings in New York at Coentis Slip, Fly Market and Peck Slip. On the Long island shore were two landings provided, the one at the original landing place and another at the Red Mills, at the foot of later Atlantic Street.


The Hoboken ferry was first opened with sailboats and rowboats in 1775, and was run with varying success by several owners until after the close of the Revolutionary War. John Stevens first came into possession of the lease of this ferry to Vesey street, New York, now Barclay street ferry in 1789, but retained it only for about two years. The lease of the ferry then passed to other hands, and in 1808, David Goodwin secured the lease of the ferry, and in 18111 John Stevens was the proprietor. He now built a steam ferry-boat, named the "Juliana," and this David Goodwin appears for a time to have had the control of the vessel while running on the ferry, though the lease was to John Stevens.


To contact:

No comments: