Sunday, February 10, 2013

Dear Sweet Daddy-A Poem

By Miriam B. Medina


"My dear father; my dear friend; the best and wisest man I ever knew, who taught me many lessons and showed me many things as we went together along the country by-ways. - Sarah Orne Jewett

This poem is an ode to all of the lost fathers out there, from all of the daughters who have been stripped of their father's love and devotion through the privations and hardships of war. Very simply, this poem is about a daughter's love for her father, a father who died in the war. We have had many wars protecting liberty and the welfare of the citizens of this great nation, and too many daughters have lost the most important men in their lives, and this poem is for these people, who have given so much in the name of freedom.

I remember when I was young,
I would wake up alone and afraid, but
Daddy would come and comfort me,
Holding me so tenderly,
He would sing to me sweet melodies
To ease my fears and pain,
Whispering so softly in my ear
I will not leave you.
Never, as you're my darling Emmy Lou.

Dear sweet daddy, I don't like being alone,
You were my friend and protector,
I felt safe and secure in your love, but
Now you've gone and left me,
Never to be seen by me or anyone again.
I'll never hear you say to me as before,
I love you little darling Emmy Lou.

I remember it all so vividly,
Those tender moments we shared,
Daddy would make me smile,
As he would brighten up my life so easily.
He helped me through my troubled years,
With so much warmth and love,
We were so close, but now he's gone
Leaving me to feel so lonely and lost.
How I wish I was that young again,

Dear Sweet Daddy, and you could hold me
In your arms, because I don't like being alone.
You were my friend and teacher,
I felt safe and secure in your love, and
I remember the last time that I saw you,
How you held me tight, hiding tears in your eyes,
Then you walked toward the door and went off to war,

Without turning your head you said goodbye.
My heart ached so, I stood there and cried
Looking out the cold, blank window,
Watching tail lights speed away,
For some reason I knew that I would
Never get to see you again,
Or ever hear you say to me, that
I love you little darling Emmy Lou.

I never had the chance to say
You were everything to me,
You always made my day,
I loved you Dad, and though I'm sad,
I think you'd be proud of me today,
Because I've grown up enough to say
I understand now while you walked out that door,
And am proud you fought for a better world in that war.

Although I love my Mom, Daddy was extra
Special to me, and it broke my heart to see
My mom break down and cry, the day
We learned that my Daddy died.
Oh they gave us a flag, and the 21 gun salute
But all I wanted was my Dad, he was
The only man alive, who could take away,
The amount of pain his death caused me and Mom.

That was several years ago this day, I was 8,
Still young, filled with joy and play,
But I grew up instantly that day,
When they put you in the ground.
So all I wanted, I guess, to say, was
That your little Emmy Lou is okay,
Though she misses you in oh so many ways,
You raised her right, she knows you're there for her,
And she'll think of you each and every day.



No comments: