Monday, April 7, 2008

A Little Taste Of History (4)

Happenings in NYC During the 1700s #1

In 1703, the King's Farm was granted to the church by Queen Anne, thus becoming the celebrated Trinity church property. The church was enlarged in 1735, and again in 1737, to meet the increasing wants of the congregation, and thus remained until it fell a victim to the conflagration of 1776, which laid waste the greater portion of the city. It lay in ruins until 1788, when it was again rebuilt, and consecrated by Bishop Provost in 1791. Source: (5)

August, 1770. An elegant equestrian statue, the first of the kind in this city, of his Majesty George III, was erected in the Bowling Green in presence of a large concourse of persons and amid music and a discharge of ordnance. It remained six years but was destroyed by the Liberty boys in 1776, and its material (lead) cast into bullets. Source: (6)

In 1772, a charter was grant it by George III. under the name of the New York Society Library, and under the new impetus given it by this incorporation, it flourished till all thoughts of literary enterprise were banished by the general stagnation of the Revolution. The city fell into the hands of the British and the library into the hands of the British soldiery; and, in the scenes of Vandalism which followed, the choice and valuable collection which had been gathered with so much care, was scattered, mutilated and almost totally destroyed. Source: (5)

As early as 1770 several physicians notified Lieutenant-Governor Colden that subscriptions were being solicited for the establishment of a public hospital; and a royal charter was obtained the following year. The land secured was from the Rutgers farm and was considered far out of town. It comprised five acres on the west side of Broadway, between the present Duane and Worth streets, Thomas Street being cut through later. The corner-stone of the building was laid by Governor Tryon, September 2, 1773. The building was partially burnt before completion, but was repaired and was ready for occupancy at the time the Revolution began. It was located on the Kalck Hook, a hill some forty or fifty feet high, situated on the line of Broadway, and, therefore, a commanding position for fortifications, which were erected here by the British, the hospital building, itself, being used by the soldiers and being surrounded by a fort. Source: (7)

Sources Utilized to Document A Little Taste Of History


No comments: