Thursday, September 20, 2012

HE DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE ME-A Poem

By Miriam B. Medina

Welcome to the latest installment of the tale of Boobala Darling, the heartfelt story of a woman beaten down by life, whose one hope is to win a cruise, and then... SHE DID WIN the cruise of her dreams. Now let's see if her dreams bear fruit...

At long last, the day arrived for Boobala to begin her cruise. She had made up her mind that she would do all that she could to improve her appearance and to arrive with style. She made sure that all her outfits were provocative, emphasizing the curves in her body that she wanted to be noticed. "Oh well, 'vat the hell," she would say, "it's only money." But in fact, it was the first time she was going to part with her savings. Boobala felt excited about her new image. With the help of a good girdle, an 'AHHH' bra, a new hair style, make-up and an effective diet, she still looked good at age 45, maybe a little chunky in some places, but it complimented her.

Boobala felt young again, just like the day she married Harry. When Myrtle saw her at the door, she could not believe her eyes. Boobala looked almost pretty. Myrtle, her old friend, squealed with delight as she hugged Boobala. Myrtle was going to see Boobala off at the pier. Boobala called a taxi to take them there. With all the hustle and bustle of people getting on and off of the ship, Boobala noticed a tall blonde man in a dark suit. Surprisingly, the man reminded her of Harry as he shouted orders to the crew. The sound of his voice sent shivers up her spine. She was mesmerized by his handsomeness. His image consumed her mind. Boobala felt her heart race and her cheeks grow hot, her eyes lit up, widening in awe. She couldn't move, even if she wanted to. Her feet were cemented to the ground. She was a victim of Cupid's arrow. After all, she was a lonely widow. It was not at all surprising that she might find love in the strangest place.

It was evident by the smile framing her lips that she was excited and happy. Her fantasy of meeting a man on this cruise was intensified as she imagined herself in the arms of her Prince charming, dancing the night away. Boobala made sure that her face did not reveal the slightest emotion as she lugged her baggage, moving closer to the Captain to courageously ask him a question. However, the arrogant Captain, who was irritated by the interruption, yelled at her to step aside as she was in the way. He didn't have the slightest interest in her, or in her new, attractive appearance. Boobala's face flushed with embarrassment. She was devastated. Her self-esteem and self-worth crashed and her newly built confidence vanished. Rage consumed her. She didn't know how to respond to him or to her dreams being dashed as her cruise ship fantasy crashed on the shores in her mind. She wandered away, muttering to herself as she lugged her baggage..


Why does he think I'm a suitcase?
Why does he treat me like I'm freight?
Stamped and shoved like all the baggage,
Can't he see my great legs and face?
I've never suffered such humiliation,
If I had known there'd be complications,
I would never have spent so much money
To make myself look this good!
.
Just because I've won this cruise,
Does it mean I deserve abuse?
I'm a passenger boarding a ship,
Not a lackey looking for a tip.
I'm a lady, oh can't you see,
Must you make baggage of me?
Treat me with some dignity,
Whether or not this trip is free.

Such a good-looking man, that Captain.
How can I stay annoyed with him?
If I could only know him better
It would be nice to be in love again
I 'd overlook this situation
If he'd only show some consideration
Help me to my feet, take me to my suite
Then I'd know this cruise would be.
Something simply heavenly...

... Sorry Boobala it's not going to happen.
Aren't you a little curious to find out more about what happened to Boobala before she went on this cruise? If you want to follow Boobala's intriguing tale, you can read her life story in my previously published series of articles called Boobala Darling Wins a Cruise. Parts 1-9. at http://mimispeaks.blogspot.com/2012/07/saying-it-poetically.html

To contact: miriammedina@earthlink.net


No comments: