Friday, July 27, 2012

SAYING IT POETICALLY-Introduction


"POETRY IS THE MUSIC OF THE SOUL, AND ABOVE ALL, OF GREAT AND FEELING SOULS."


 First and foremost there are two questions I would like to Explain.

I THE REASON WHY PEOPLE LIKE POETRY.
.
Some people like poetry because they admire the life lessons that they can give or that they love or they like the stories they tell. Poems are little capsules of life, snapshots of slices of time described with words, not taken by a camera. For this reason, anyone can relate to a poem, it describes a feeling, an emotion or a scene, but leaves the details open to the mind of the reader. For this reason, many people like poetry because it is often based on the writer's emotional response to something, but it's a response they can relate to, so it also invokes an emotional response from the reader.

FROM START TO FINISH HOW DID I GO ABOUT PULLING MY POEM TOGETHER?
 
I get my inspiration from life itself. As a singer/songwriter in past years, most of the subjects of my songs were people that I interacted with on a daily basis. I am an excellent observer, which is an important tool for any artist, so I glean inspiration from participating in and observing life itself. This keeps me on my toes, always at the ready with a pen and pad in front of me, ready to go when I'm inspired by things to write about.
 
Before I wrote poetry I wrote song lyrics. Here's how I did it and what I looked for:
 
A. Find a theme or a subject to talk about in order to create a mood, a picture or a feeling.
.
B. Set the stage for that subject. Like 'what is happening at that moment' or 'what is going to happen next'.
.
C. Focus on who is the main character, what he she is feeling at that moment. 
.
D. Think of ways to awaken the imagination, to capture the reader's attention so they may understand and react to THE WORDS I wrote.
.
E. Express my feelings in regards to what I'm writing about.
.
F. Define the mood, is it happiness, sadness or anger.
.
G. Find a means to tell that story, be it rhyme or free form.
.
H. Find a rythym. Song lyrics are poetry set to music. Many times when I sit down to write a poem, I find myself humming a tune to the words in order to create a pattern. It works in a lot of areas. Sometimes I just write down my thoughts, like I am in a situation and am thinking out loud, without rhyming. just writing it as it flows. 
.
I. Edit and proof my work. When I finish the poem, how does it visually look? Does the overall look impress? DOES THIS  poem tease the reader, awaken an interest IN them to come back for more? If not, how do I fix the poem so that it DOES accomplish this feat.

Miriam B. Medina loves nothing more than sharing what she learns, creates, thinks about and writes with everyone she can. So be sure to check out her INDEX OF POEMS which she has written.
 
  •                                                          SHORT STORY

You will also find next to some of her poems, articles and a short story: CLICK HERE:  "Boobala Darling Wins A Cruise,"

No comments: