Saturday, July 28, 2012

Deja-Vu: A Poem

By Miriam B. Medina

Life sometimes plays tricks on you. Sometimes you might find yourself somewhere you feel you've been before, though you're certain you haven't been. Sometimes you might meet someone you feel like you've known your whole life. Sometimes the experience can be quite unsettling, filling you with a sense of strangeness, with an eeriness that makes the hair stand up on your neck. That is what you call Deja-Vu. Wikipedia describes it as "...literally already seen. The experience of feeling sure that one has already witnessed or experienced a current situation, even though the exact circumstances of the prior encounter are uncertain and were perhaps imagined. The experience of Deja-Vu is usually accompanied by a compelling sense of familiarity." We can observe this in the following poem.


There's a certain way about you
And it's driving me out of my mind
Whenever we get together
I can see it so clearly, I'm blind...
Tell me, were you mine in another life,
In some other place and time?
It seems the same but different now,
I know we've been here before.
The passion we once shared is the same somehow
I know we've felt this before
A feeling I can't explain or ignore...
Is it Deja-Vu, or is it some fantasy
I've created in my head
All I know is that you have awakened feelings
that have been long since dead
Though many years have passed between us
and your hair and beard are now gray
You still have that boyish smile
And I? Sweet memories of all those yesterdays...
You are my dream, a dream come true.
Now my life is worthwhile
and it's all because of you.
Still I can't shake that nagging feeling
That I've known you of old
I just want to keep holding you
So this mystery can unfold.
Life with you is so exciting
You make me come alive
I know I've found my rainbow's ending
True gold shines in your eyes
Your love is like a breath of Spring
Refreshing, so young and so new
Your tender kiss says everything
It thrills me through and through...
You have my sweet caresses, and
You share in my loneliness
You wipe away my tears when I cry, and
You are my strength when I am weak
You know what to say when I can't speak
I'm flying high from what you make me feel inside...
Can you feel my heart beating fast?
How I long for this moment to last and last
And when we touch, I get this feeling
We've felt like this once before...
Call it Deja-Vu, I know we've loved before
Call it Deja-Vu, It's you that I adore
Can't you see how my heart is beating so,
How can I ever let you go?
Now that you are once again in my life.
Stay with me where you belong
Let us sing together our song,
A song as Ancient as the Nile,
As new as every latest style,
You are my
Deja-Vu

If you want to read more poems see INDEX OF POEMS

To contact: miriammedina@earthlink.net

No comments: