Sunday, January 27, 2008

Making Choices: Turmoil or Tranquility? (2)

Decision making can at times, be mentally exhausting. People who are indecisive as the saying goes "grow grass under their feet." They are called procrastinators which is the opposite of being a decisive person. Because of their insecurities, they are in constant turmoil. It takes them forever to make a decision as to their choice, holding out constantly, looking for even better possibilities, which may never come. In the meantime, they are letting wonderful opportunities slip by. From simple to complicated choices, they are dominated by fear. They lack self-confidence. Fear of failure, fear of being ridiculed by others and fear of what others may think of them. The longer it takes for them to make up their minds, the more fearful that person will become of his or her ability to deal with it. Laments such as: "Oh my, what do I do?" I just can't make up my mind!" “I don't know if I should invest in this company or not!" "I don't know if I should change jobs or stay where I am?" Indecision creates an unsettled condition in your mind and body. As long as you are an indecisive person, you are helpless and won't be able to move in any direction with complete assurance, unless you were guaranteed that the step you will take in making changes is safe and secure.

If and when these individuals do make their choice, they continue to be harassed with anxiety on whether or not it was the right choice. No matter what they decide to choose, they will always find a reason why that choice was wrong, thus subjecting themselves to unnecessary stress, bemoaning what might have been. Expressions such as: "It's just my luck, that this should have happened, I knew I shouldn't have made that choice," " What a bum he turned out to be, I thought he was going to take care of me, but it turned out to be the opposite, I should never have married him," " I hate my job, I knew I should not have taken it, " " I should have gone to college when I had the chance instead of getting married, now with three kids, its too late," " I don't know why I agreed to buy this house, its too much for me to handle and I don't even like where we live," " I hate this dress, it cost so much, and it looks terrible on me, I don't know why I picked it," "Why did I choose this car, what a lemon, it has been nothing but trouble since I got it," " I don't know why I got into this business, I haven't been able to make any money yet, I'm already in over my head ," so on and so forth.

To be continued: Making Choices: Turmoil or Tranquility? (3)

No comments: