Monday, October 13, 2008

Worship (3)

Topic: Episcopal Churches in New York City #2

Christ's Church

This church was founded in the year 1794, and was the second Episcopal Church organized in this city, Trinity Church, with its chapels, St. George's and St. Paul's, only preceding it. An edifice was erected of stone, sixty feet wide, and eighty deep, standing on Ann Street, a few doors cast of Nassau street, where a considerable congregation assembled, and in about ten years they numbered three hundred in communion. The Rev. Joseph Pillmore, D.D., was Rector of the church from its commencement to the year 1805, when he resigned the charge and removed to Philadelphia, and was succeeded by the Rev. Thomas Lyell. For eighteen years the church remained in Ann street, with a usual measure of success, but in March, 1823, they removed to a new edifice erected in Anthony street, a little west of Broadway. Here they have remained. The Rev. Dr. Lyell is still the Rector, now in the 41st year of his ministry, in this church, and the oldest pastor in the city, but has had in the time several assistants. This church has been generally prosperous, and has been favored with some seasons of special religious interest. In the years 1829, 1830, and 1831, many were hopefully converted. Seventy persons were added to the communion in 1829, and sixty were added in 1831.

"Christ's Church in Ann Street."

As stated above, Christ's Church, under the pastoral charge of Dr. Lyell, left Ann Street in March, 1823, and occupied the new church edifice in Anthony street. A part of the people, however, remained behind, occupying the old house of worship, and shortly after they were organized as a church, and the Rev. John Sellon, who purchased the church edifice, was instituted as Rector. A considerable congregation assembled here, and 120 members were enrolled in communion. But at about the close of 1825, Mr. Sellon resigned the charge, and the church was soon scattered., The house was afterwards sold to the Roman Catholics, and after being occupied by them for a few years was consumed by fire.

French Church, Du St. Esprit

The edict of Nantz, given by Henry Iv, of France in the year 1598, having been revoked by Louis XIV, on Oct. 22d, 1685, the Huguenots were obliged to leave their country, and fled to Holland, Switzerland, England, and America. Large numbers of them came to New York about that time, and soon commenced meeting for worship in private houses. But their numbers increasing very fast, they organized themselves, and began to collect funds to build a house of worship. This was accomplished in 1704. An edifice was erected, measuring 50 feet by 77, fronting on Pine street, opposite the Custom House, the burial ground in the rear running through to Cedar street.

The congregation continued to assemble on this spot for 130 years. In 1834, they sold their property on Pine street, and erected an elegant building of white marble, on Franklin street, corner of Church street, at a cost of $60,000.

Fourteen ministers have officiated in this Church since its establishment, most of them, however, for short terms of time. The present pastor of this church is the Rev. Antoine Verren, who commenced his labors in the year 1828, succeeding the Rev. Mr. Penneveyre. The present number of communicants is about 100. The service is conducted in the French language. This Church was organized according to the doctrine and discipline of the Reformed Churches of France and Geneva, and so continued until the year 1804, when it was agreed by the pastor and people to adopt the forms of the Episcopal Church. This was done, and since that time they have been in connection with the Episcopal Church in this city. (30)

Sources Utilized to Document Information


No comments: